Mosquito bites are itchy, annoying, and can even carry many diseases. That’s why no one likes getting bitten by mosquitos. Though there are many mosquito repellents which will help you to stay safe inside, they are not applicable for open areas. Moreover, these chemical repellents are injurious to your health also. But if you can bring some mosquito repellent plants then you can easily keep these bugs away from your home and most importantly, these plants are safe and natural.
Let’s take a look at some of the mosquito repellent plants for your balcony.
- Marigold: Marigold plants are the best if you want to keep away mosquitos from your home. Marigolds are suitable for the Indian climate. They require only sun exposure and well-drained soil. The fragrance of Marigold flower deters mosquitos, beetle, and other insects to enter the room. If you can cultivate some marigold plants on your balcony, garden or in front of your entrance, then you don’t need to worry about the annoying bites of the mosquitos.
- Rosemary: Though this herb is famous for seasoning, it can act as a natural mosquito repellent. This plant can survive in hot, dry weather and well-drained soil. For a strong and immediate effect in open areas, seething rosemary leaves keep away mosquitoes from your home. This plant is an inexpensive and attractive way to boost the appearance of the landscape.
- Basil: Basil often known as “Tulsi” is a popular culinary herb which has medicinal properties. Basil is an antibacterial herb and is also used for repelling mosquitos. Basil belongs to the mint family and when grown properly in the open areas, they act as a natural mosquito repellent. Moreover, you can extract the oil from this plant and can be used with diffuser sticks or cotton balls for day-long effect. Basil can easily grow in moist and well-drained soil.
- Lemongrass: This multifaced plant can act as a natural mosquito repellent. Lemongrass can be used in kitchen, medicines, preservatives, and in perfume also. The oil extract of lemongrass can be sprayed around any area of your house if you want to get rid of mosquitos. The citrus-like fragrance effectively repels mosquitoes and many other pests. This is a low-maintenance plant which can easily grow in full sunlight and non-pooling soil.
- Catnip: This is a strong and natural mosquito repellent. In August 2010, entomologists at Iowa State University reported to the American Chemical Society that catnip is ten times more effective than DEET. Catnip is an easy to grow herb and it is related to the mint family. This plant will repel mosquitoes in close proximity, still many people apply crushed catnip leaves or catnip oil for more robust protection. Catnip can be grown in both partly sunny and fully sunny areas. But cat owners need to choose other alternatives to this plant.
These are top 5 mosquito repellent plants for your balcony. These days, the scientists are inventing many non-toxic mosquito repellents which can be used by the people who want to spend some time in the outside without the annoyance of mosquitoes.